Saturday, December 20, 2008

Essence of Christmas

This is the Christmas season. Christmas trees have been decorated. The sidewalks are filled with lights. The kids are singing christmas carols. We are having Christmas parties at work, in school, in the church and at home.

I have good memories of spending the yuletide season. There have always been plenty of food in our table, in our neighbors', friends' and relatives'. This is the best time of the year to eat, rejoice and not care about getting fat (care again in January).

I also get to receive many gifts that's why I always looked forward to Christmas. I have always thought that the gifts that I received were gifts for me. And why not, when they were bought specifically for me. The giver had me in mind when the gifts were chosen.

Christmas has always been that way - we give gifts to each other. It's part of the culture and tradition. But let us look deeper. What are we celebrating this Christmas? Is it about 'me' or 'you'? Because we get the gifts, then it must be about 'us.'

But it isn't. It's about Christ - it is the celebration of His birth. Then He must be the one who must be given gifts, right? This is something most of us, even I, have failed to understand. I don't say that we stop giving gifts to each other. Then I'll be such a kill-joy. But let us reassess the entire gift-giving thing.

Giving gifts is part of any birthday celebration. And on the celebration of the birth of our Savior, we do the same. By giving gifts to our fellow beings, we give gifts to Christ for He is always in us. And more than the physical and material things, let us give the best gifts - compassion, presence and love. Let us be a gift to other people. Then we are being a gift to Christ.

And most important of all, let us not limit our gift-giving during Christmas. Let us celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ everyday.

No comments: