Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Welcome 2009!!!

For many of us, the coming of the New Year is more than a change in number in our calendars. This is a time for changes in our life – turning away from bad habits, getting fat/thin, moving on from bad experiences, letting go of exes; basically, making resolutions. This is a time to welcome and hope for better things to come.

Predictions also add colors. I have yet to hear the prophecies of mystics and fortune-tellers. But I am not one who believes in what we call “hula.”

The past year had been a significant one. We witnessed and experienced many bad and wonderful events.

Typhoons hit many parts of our country. Ships sunk and many islands submerged. I personally witnessed the effect of typhoon Frank to the municipality of Lambayong in Sultan Kudarat.

When we thought that no economic threat could severely hit the world economy at this time and age, we were proven wrong. Many financial institutions declared bankruptcy. Even the strongest economies weakened. And of course, there is a domino effect.

On international politics, Barack Obama became the first African-American president of the United States of America. Truly, America and the entire world are making progress in the battle against racism and discrimination. We are all ready for deeper changes.

I hope I can say the same concerning the issues in our own country. But I still have faith in the Filipino people. I hope that we all make better decisions in the future. Let’s start now.

2008 was certainly the year of Pacman. He claimed three wins in three different divisions (the most popular was against dela Hoya), putting his name in a certain Hall of Fame. I’m a General. I can only be proud. And I am very proud!

The year 2008 had been the most colorful and dramatic year of my existence as well – all the drama was self-made, of course.

I played three different roles this year – a college student, a teacher and a CPA reviewee. I lived in three cities – General Santos, Koronadal and Manila.

After graduation, I thought that no friendship as great as the ones that I built with college friends would come into my life. Well, I was wrong. I tried to hibernate and stay away from people – for change (and solitude). But I was never meant to be alone. And I’m happy!

There were many meaningful learning experiences. Major decisions were made, many of which were questioned and opposed. I have no regrets.

And now, I happily welcome the coming of 2009.

2 comments:

Jes said...

happy new year po.! XD

Ayel said...

happy new year, kapamilya!

Hope your 2009 will be more colorful than how your 2008 had been.

Bless you!