Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Traffic

So very few activities consume me these days. But what should be the least among those happens to be what consumes me the most – commuting. Every day, I try to rationalize why it takes me 40 minutes to get to my office from my boarding house when it would take only 5-10 minutes if my I were back in GenSan riding my father’s motorcycle. Of course, I’m not in the position to complain. If I detest my situation so much, you would probably tell me to go back home. So I’m not complaining… just doing some thinking.

Here are some of the reasons. First, there are just so many commuters – employees, students, even the jobless; all of them trying to get a ride. Second, there are so many vehicles, both private and public means of transportation. The excessive number of private vehicles congests the streets. But I couldn’t blame the more financially fortunate people if they don’t care that their cars contribute to the heavy traffic. Who would want to suffer the discomfort of public transportation when you can ride in the comforts of your personal car? Though there is such thing as SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Third, many establishments are congested in certain places. For instance, the biggest business firms are located in Makati. It follows that many employees would want to work here. I know of people from as far as Cavite and Laguna who commute everyday just to get to work. If only the resources and business opportunities are divided to the many places of this country, we wouldn’t suffer from endless traffic.

I admit that the government and some private organizations have made the life of commuters better through building the LRT and MRT. I hope more LRTs and MRTs will be built. And also, that the rich would do their part. If they can get to where they need to go through public transportation, please do so. Let us lessen the number of vehicles in the streets.

I personally try to make a difference, however small it may be. Actually, I don’t know if it would make a difference at all to other people. But it makes much difference to me. Since my place is not too far away from the office, I walk to get to the boarding house in the evening. I am giving one person a space in the jeepney. And I take only one ride in the morning, instead of two since I walk some distance to get to where I used to take my 2nd ride.

This traffic issue is much more than what I talk about. So for those who have the concrete answers, and especially to those who can make the answers a reality, please, please, make all the difference and make the world a better place.

No comments: