Saturday, June 28, 2008

Manny Did It Again

I never intended to write about Manny Pacquiao. I have only heard of his fight against Diaz yesterday so I was not exactly attached to this fight.

By the way, who is Diaz? I'm not a fan of boxing; but I am a Filipino, a General and for that, I am a supporter of Manny.

In Manny Pacquiao's former bouts, I was among the many Filipinos who stayed put at home (or anywhere with tv) and did nothing else but wait for the fight, watch it, rejoice and later watch interviews with him, Jinky and the famous mother. I did not plan to do all those today. And I didn't.

I made a promise to myself that I will not watch the game because it would consume so much energy. The fight may just be an hour but the hangover is long. I still got papers to check and a laundry crisis to settle. I haven't washed a single blouse and house clothes in three weeks now. I have washed some slacks and undies because I had not much choice. My room is a mess.

News will have to be broken by my parents through text. But I could not contain my feelings for even if I promised not to watch, I was worried. After buying groceries (with a short line at the counter, for once) composed mostly of junk food, specifically the E-aji of different sorts and flavors, I went to a store outside of KCC which had a tv that aired the match. Already in the 5th round, a man there assured me that Manny was leading. I could see his opponent's face bleeding. It was not a happy sight but I left the store with all fears evaporating. It was just sad that another face will be distorted after the game.

When I got back into my place, I had my lunch and consumed two servings of rice, a major violation of my diet policy of having only two cups of rice in a day. Huhu. I would not have rice tonight.

This fight, like many others of Manny's in the past, has again made significant contributions to the country. For starters, he once again proved the dominance of the Philippines in the field of boxing. The people, even for a short time have forgotten their burdens and were happy for Manny. This day had been a holiday for police officers for even the criminals had their eyes glued on tv. Filipinos, despite the many differences, were united in cheering and praying for our man. Manny is a resident of the Philippines, thus, his income earned inside and outside of the Philippines will be taxed (although there are exemptions. I don't know if his winnings are included in such). But then, he has shares in pay-per-view. Tax there is sure.

I have no intentions of watching the replay or watch tv interviews of him (I've not much choice, I have no tv). But I might check out newspapers. I am contented knowing that he won.... And afraid that in his next match, he might not. For nothing is ever permanent.

In the first place, what made me decide not to watch the game is because I do not want to be a witness to his downfall. So expect that it will again be a pass for me in his next game.

.....

No comments: