Monday, August 11, 2008

My Taxi File

Last night, I read a youngblood article entitled The Taxi Files. And I remembered a not-so-happy incident concerning a taxi ride in Manila a year ago.

I'm a courteous person. I have respect for the elders and I am extra-sensitive to the poor. But I am extremely opinionated and principled. And I will never keep my mouth shut if I feel that I am, or any person, is abused. I will always defend my friends regardless of situation.

We took a taxi ride from Mall of Asia to Market-Market in Taguig. Taxis are required to use the meter system where passengers must pay what's on the meter. But taxi drivers in Manila have this illegal system of imposing a mark up. If you won't agree, they would not accommodate you.

There were six of us in the group. We would not fit in one taxi so we divided the group into two. Daryl and James were with me while Inday and Rom were with Sir Mark. The other group left first, with an agreement with the driver that they pay P30 mark up (additional to the bill). It took us longer to find a taxi who's willing to take us to Taguig. Grrr, they were so papresyo. Finally, one taxi was willing. The driver was talking to the other drivers there while we put our luggage in the taxi. We did not really listen to them. What's important was that we could finally leave.

When we reached Market-Market, with the others already there, I paid what's on the meter and an additional P30. But the driver insisted that during the negotiation with the other drivers at MOA, it was decided that we pay a P50 mark-up. Great, so other drivers negotiated on our behalf.

I was almost willing to pay without complaints. I was tired and I wanted the driver to just get lost. But James was arguing with the driver. He was talking about fairness and all. If I gave in to the driver's demands without a fight, James would have felt betrayed. The three from the other taxi were also butting in. Daryl didn't care because he didn't have money anyway. And he knew I'd pay the bill.

James set out the status quo, meaning, how much mark-up the other group paid. I knew that the debate would go on and on if I did not put a closure. For the sake of argumentation, I told the driver (shouted is probably more reflective): Wala kayong values. Walang love of work! In the first place, we are only required to pay what's on your meter. There, go take P50. Sana masaya na kayo. Mukhang pera.

Yeah, I said a lot. The driver did not give his rebuttals. He took the money and left.

What did my act accomplish?
James did not feel defeated.
We felt that we applied our principles and we held on to Sir Mark's famous motto (popular to us): It's not about the money, it's the act.
We felt that we were more value-oriented people than the driver/s in Manila.

Did it prove that I was a better person than that driver? No. I actually stooped down to his lowly level.

I don't really know how it could have been handled more appropriately. Anyway, I'm not looking back wishing I didn't say what I said. And if anything could be changed, I would have conveyed my message in a nicer way.

But can there really be a nicer way in telling a greedy person that he has no values?

2 comments:

macky said...

grabeh ka naman teng! a greedy person derserves much of our repect... kumbaga pa, masyado na syang masama para palalain pa... and we dont know, how he is in need of the money kaya he rather put aside his values...hehe, there are more stories behind a simple story... hahaha, anyway! you have the reason naman to be anger kasi your right naman... marami na ngang abusado ngayon... hehehe


miz u! mwuash

zearaiza said...

ang bilis ng comment ah. hehe

yeah teng, nakakahiya itong incident na ito at ang reaction ko. pero heler?!!! no one can really justify the driver's attitude! so bad xa, bad din ako.

hindi issue kung malaki pangangailangan nya noh. lahat tayo may problema. we can only be socially responsible but we are not obliged to lift the burdens of the world.

haha. naga-rebut na ako.

miss u teng. ingatz lagi. i hope you don't experience this there. but if you do, wag mang-away. hehe