Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy at 22

I attended the GRP-MILF symposium on present issues last Friday. I said (and wrote in my previous post) that I will relive the days of meaningful journalism. But only minutes after I took a seat to listen to the speaker, I could not anymore contain my impatience. I'm a poor listener and I easily get sleepy. The inevitable happened - I left and slept at the Faculty Lounge. I decided that I would not blog again until I have this one good relevant post regarding social issues.

But here I am, without a post on social issues (specifically on the events here in Mindanao) because I have no understanding of the issue. I am not making good a promise. But this is for a very special reason - I'm in Youngblood today! In the August 26, 2008 issue.

I would like to say that I'm floating. But that is not really what I feel. I am happy, just simply happy.

It had been my dream when I was in high school to write for Youngblood. It remained a dream because I never really submitted anything. I had a lot of stories but I did not have the courage and the confidence. I thought that Youngblood is only for the good creative writers. And I was no creative writer (and I don't consider myself a creative writer even now). Yes, I wrote for my publications in my elementary, secondary and tertiary years - but only news articles and sometimes, editorial, but always from a third person point of view.

Youngblood way of writing just isn't my way.

I stopped patronizing Youngblood during college. Maybe it was my defense mechanism because I knew that I would never realize my dream.

So why am I in Youngblood?

Because I learned that Youngblood contributors are not gods. Just like me and everyone else, they are people here on earth. We share the same space and breathe the same air. They have life experiences - happy and sad; and they, too, are not perfect. I now believe that there is only one qualification in order to be part of Youngblood - you must have a story to tell. And we have a lot of stories to share! Therefore, we can all write for Youngblood.

Youngblood is not as high as I thought it was.

I have always been insecure as a writer. This insecurity is manifested even in this Blog. I knew that I have limitations. I had more posts months ago than recently. When I realized that fellow writers read and have read my posts, I became conscious, thus, I stopped writing. This YB experience somehow gave me assurance that my writing is not so bad.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this. But come on, this is a dream come true! So for me, this is somehow big. Hehe.

And many will not escape my thanks!

  • Jude - the guy who gave me the idea that Youngblood is within reach. Thanks for encouraging me, although you may not be aware of it :-)
  • Ate and Eric - Guys, nauna ako sa inyo!!! Kayo rin ha. I had my first experience of YB through them. They were and still are avid fans of it. They cut articles from Inquirer that's why the articles were always available for my consumption.
  • Mama - for believing in whatever I do, whether I'm good at them or not. Imagine, she actually believes that I'm a good singer and dancer! But then, she's a mother. She would believe in anything.
  • Papa - well, he's not really a fan of a "me-myself-and-I" way of writing. He would probably not consider my article a journalistic piece. But thanks for the genes anyway, hehe.
  • Bro Willy and the people who inspired me to live a Marist life and commit myself to service.
  • Fans and supporters - especially Menardo, Ma'am Tess, Sir Jet, VOICE (2003-2006), VOX and SSG pipol, former classmates, dearest friends, etc.
  • Journalism mentors - Mama, Ma'am Badet, Sir Gilbert, etc.
  • And yeah, my two most favored stuffed toys - Emmy and Rolly, for the companionship and loyalty.

Oh, I almost forgot. I celebrated my 22nd birthday three (3) days ago and this is the best gift I have received. In a lunch with friends, I was asked what my birthday wish was. And I said this: I want to have an article of mine published in Youngblood. Of everything I could have wished and asked for at the moment, this had been my answer. And yes, it was given. Thanks :-)

Note: I'm not sure if I'm really on Youngblood. I was informed through text by both Jude and Bro Willy, but the August 26 issue of the newspaper is not available at the Library and the latest YB article on Inquirer.net is dated August 23. There is still the possibility that I reacted too early. Hehe. Hopefully, this is not a joke.

7 comments:

Angeli said...

i've read it sweetie pie...although i'm still not convinced of the recent behavior you have manifested, i'm proud of you, always have been, always will be...i'm your number one fan, you can never doubt on that...and i will always love you, always and forever, though you may sometimes say that mine is a love that defines my ideals...but my love will always have the acceptance of the person you are and will be...and no matter where you wanna go, i really wouldn't have much say anyway, but i will still and always be ur number one fan...and i will always believe that sometime, somewhere, you will pick up yourself and rise again (duh)...but then again, what is important is that you are happy...and happiness is not something i can give/buy for you, no matter how much i will try...but if you really are happy now, i guess i'll just let you be...

i love you sweetie!and i'm so so proud of you!!!

zearaiza said...

tnx :-) at tapusin na natin ang issue na 'to ha. napapanis na. hehe. iba naman.

love you!

Ps: but you know, you can still buy happiness for me, to a certain degree. i am willing to accept naman. hehe

macky said...

Capricorn(dec22-jan18)

A friend has been making remarkable changes in their life, which should inspire you.
In Detail
A friend has been making some remarkable changes in their life, which should be getting you to think about making some changes of your own. They have some excellent advice on how to get started in a new direction, so you should pick their brain on the ins and outs of their transformation. They'll be flattered by the attention, which will encourage them to keep on going with this lifestyle renovation. Don't be afraid to let someone know you are proud of them!

Note: sabi ng horoscope ko, icongratz daw kita.... Congratulations my dear friend! keep it up... im so busy these days.. no time for blogging.. maybe soon... by the way....thanks a lot and miz u...

Rolly said...

Nung nilibre mo pala kami ni Erwin di man lang kami nagtanong anong wish mo. Tapos ansiba naming kumain. Hehe. Thank you!

Angeli said...

wala ka pa ring remittance..wahahahaha..pero in fairness mabait ako sa bday mo dinagdagan ko ang budgeted half ng birthday wish mo..nabili ko ba ang happiness?hahaha...

anyway, masaya naman ako dito...oi, matuto kang magchat..buti pa si mama nakachat ko nung monday..tapos sina sarah at mariz regular akong naaupdate sa mga buhay-buhay e ikaw wala man lang akong kamalay-malay...not good

we are supposed to be the best of friends...

Gilbert Yap Tan said...

Hi Barbs, i'm so proud of you! Di ba iba ang feeling seeing your byline? here's the url of the online copy of your YB essay: http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view/20080826-156811/Vocation_vacation

Congrats! :)

zearaiza said...

hello sir!! thanks po, for inspiring many young writers like me (or writers-wanna -be, hehe)

:-)