Sunday, July 6, 2008

Done with Veronika

A week ago, I wrote about Veronika, a Slovene who decided to die. I did not have the patience to read more than three chapters of the book at the time but finally gathered enough patience earlier to finish reading it.

The novel, Veronika Decides to Die isn't as bad as I originally thought it to be. Actually, it's not bad at all. It's just different from all other novels I've read.

The novel was written by Paulo Coelho, a Brazilian writer who is more philosophical than most novelists. Yes, I can say that he is certainly different from the others. But then, every great artist became great because he/she had been different, otherwise, there will be no distinction between the great one from the rest.

I had been judgmental, looking at things at face value and taking things literally. I failed to recognize that there is always something deeper in everything.

I will not divulge the details, whether Veronika died or not. But this is for sure - I now appreciate the art of Coelho, who welcomed me and many readers into the depth of human emotions and thoughts.

If you guys have time, patience and energy, try the book. You will learn a lot.

No comments: