Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Confessions of a pet lover

I've always been into animals. I remember, when I was in grade school, I would save my baon to buy chicks. At the time, they were sold at the city market and in a stall in Lagao at P20 each. I've bought more than 10 chicks and only 1 came to live with me until maturity. The others died or were saved by people who could better take care of them. I never allowed my parents or neighbors touch my precious surviving pet chicken.

My father bought me a turtle which I eventually lost. Well, it actually escaped. I'm a freedom-lover and I did not want my pets to feel as though they were prisoners. I left my turtle in a planggana. Later, it swam in the canal and of course never came back.

Because my parents tried very hard not to play favorites (or pretended that there is no favorite), they bought my siblings and I three ducklings, one for each of us. It was just a front; for my sister and brother were never into pets. I claimed all three ducklings and my siblings couldn't care less. My joy with having them was a little longer than with the turtle. They at least spent the night with me, on my bed, and the next day swam in the canal. Never even bothered to say good bye! They, too, never came back. I've had birds, white mice and cats as well.

My fondness for animals is probably attributed to missing farm life and the animals we used to have. . .

But when I was in high school, I forgot about them. I was busy with barkada, activities, UAAP, movies, contests, crushes and orgs. While in college (in later years), my interest in having pets again surfaced. I got a dog which looks like the one in the movie, The Mask. I'm not sure of the breed but it's no asong kalye, although I got teased by friends that my beloved dog was ugly. It's small, playful and very much into me. I named him Du, the term of endearment of a special friend and I (eeewww).

During Regional PRISAA held in GenSan where I was a facilitator, I stayed at school even in the evenings. One time when I went home to get clothes, Du was making kulit and followed the trisikad when I left. The dog must have missed me so much. I thought he could find his way back home because he usually did. Apparently, he never came back. My parents thought that I took him to school because I have done so many times before.

When I learned that he's missing, after PRISAA when I finally got home, I was broken. I swore that I will find him no matter what. I felt very guilty because I did not make sure that he was safe at home. He must have tried to really get to me and eventually got lost.

With my brother, who does everything I tell him to do, I looked for Du first in our subdividion, then in the purok and barangay. We walked and walked, called out his name but no Du emerged. After months, I still looked around, hoping that I'd find him. But I never did.

I thought I'd never have another dog. Then came Twofi. Why the name, it's a long story.... He's a labrador. At four months, he was already big but could not walk yet. I carried him a lot then. He's got these wonderful, expressive eyes. I really loved Twofi. But it was hard taking care of such a big dog. And he has o.a. and exag needs - shampoos, food, etc.

He was very attached to me, like most labradors are to their owners. He'd like us to play always. I just didn't have the time. When I'd leave for school, he'd cry but I couldn't do anything about it. He'd run to me and spoil my uniform. A lot of times, I went to school not in uniform because Twofi got them dirty. Speaking of dirt, he poops a lot, too! And the time came when I didn't want to look at him anymore because it would be hard to get away, physically and emotionally.

My parents were busy as well so we had to let him go. He was given to a co-teacher of my mother who promised to give us a child of Twofi. It was sad parting with him but at least I know where he is, and that he's safe.

Then came Mac2X. I bought him from a friend of a friend - half Japanese spitz (?) and half something else. He's really very cute and is such an attention seeker. He has some eeww habits though. His favorite activity was masturbating on my big lion stuffed toy. I never held that lion toy again.

I know I could keep Mac but when a cousin visited and took an interest in him, my parents found an easy way to rid of my dog. I couldn't complain much because I wasn't the one grooming him. I was always out. I never cleaned his dirt. I wasn't being a responsible pet owner. And they promised that Mac would be available when I am available. So Mac is with my cousin now and is very much loved there.

But the pet that had the biggest impact in my life is Cara, my baby rabbit. This story got this long and far, without my intention, but the real story lies in Cara. After the introduction, finally, we got to her. . . .

Cara was bought in Gaisano when she was two weeks old. She was very cute and adorable, with yellow hairs. Everyone just loved her. She was popular among fellow student leaders, too. They would drop by at the SSG Office to have a look at her and bring her food. Officers never complained even if the office and the tables were filled with Cara's dirt. She was part of all the activities - Acquaintance parties, meetings, etc. I brought her to Water Gran for the Leadership Seminar but left her on the second day to my colleagues because I had to go back to GenSan for a competition. When I got back to her, she was sick. She would not eat and was in a very poor condition. The inevitable happened, Cara died. And her first death anniversary was last July 21, 2008.

That was one of the saddest days of my life, not only because I lost a pet I loved so much but because I received one of the most important lessons in life the hard way. As a human being, I took control over other beings, in this case, Cara, but I was not responsible. I treated Cara as a trophy, a pet to show off to other people. She was constantly passed from one hand to another like she's a toy. I gathered all the rewards of being the pet owner but I never really took care of her. All these I acknowledged during the memorial service my co-officers and I gave to Cara.

Her remains lie at the grounds of Water Gran. And she will forever remind me and all the others whose lives she touched that we must not take for granted those that are given to us and that we must always be responsible.

Many times I was tempted to buy another rabbit but never got to. It's either I reminded myself of Cara or I got reminded by friends and family about her. Oftentimes it's the latter. In time, when I am ready, I will again have another bunny....

6 comments:

macky said...

how sad naman.... wawa naman si Cara mo! naku, she in heaven now, eating lots of carrots....


mwuash!

Eric Gerard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Gerard said...

hehe, Woe to the souls of the poor pets who pleasantly suffered for your affection.

erm... about the ducks, I thought you took one duckling to bed, and the next day, you found the corpse lying squashed under you.

Apparently, you crushed it to death...hehe (at least that's what your ate told me)

Dedicate one paragraph for Kris... and your other human pets. (joke lang Kris, if mabasa mo to, pero ke Barbie, seryoso akoh!) (^o^) hehe

Angeli said...

...i'm missing you sweetheart...of course, i think of you all the time and i always visit your blog, fyi...naku...summerball was last night...and guess what???hahaha...i learned quite a few spanish words (ola, que pasa, quero, necessito, salud, venga, bamos...)...and guess from who???...hahaha...my british friend of course...grrrr..hay naku, third week ko pa lang dito naiintriga nako...ano ba yan???ung manager ko mas kinikilig pa ata sakin...hahahah...

pero duh...like i said...we are in fact, just friends...naku naman, ung taong un napakapulitiko...after namin magdinner (at hinoard nya ang buong dinner ko ng sangkatutak nyang kwento)...alam mo ba kung sino ang mga kinausap nya???...ung mga director, ceo at cfo ng company...grabeh...lakas talga ng loob...and at 22 ha?(sabi nya 22 daw sya eh)...hay grabeh sya...super ma-PR talaga...hahahah...

may picture kami together...sana lang maganda ako...kinunan ng manager ko...natuwa talaga sya samin..duh..syempre meron din sa camera ni "friend"...hahaha... tapos nung end ng aming party may souvenirs e di namin naabutan sa table kaya sabi nya kumuha daw ako sa basket..nung kumuha ako pinili ko green..eh ang meaning friendship..ung binigay ko kay nettie, courage...nalungkot sya kasi ung tatoo nya sa kamay courage..gusto ata nya un ang kinuha ko kasi tinanong nya kung pinili ko ba daw ung akin dahil pareho color ng damit ko...hay e ayaw na makipagpalit ni nettie..huhuhu...

well, ganun ang aking life dito...may mga moments talga...hahahah...wag moko isumbong saking "Adrian" dahil naku, infidelity talaga to..hahaha...

zearaiza said...

ric, that was mean. huhu.... i don't remember crushing a duckling... but then, i must have forgotten....

kris doesn't blog. good for him. hehe

zearaiza said...

ate, this section is for comments sa BLOG KO hindi sa personal life mo.... hehe